Thursday, May 31, 2012

If I could undo Down syndrome....

Got an email from The T21 Traveling Afghan Project about a new weekly thing on their blog and this is what it says:
I'm often asked if I would "undo" my daughter's Down syndrome if given the opportunity.  There is a great deal of discussion regarding the extent an extra chromosome defines the individual who carries it.
Therefore, this weeks prompt is "If I could undo Down syndrome...."
I've read the other's and understand what both sides are saying but I have to say No, absolutely not.  Yes, there will be hard times to go through... my little dude already had open heart surgery and it was the hardest thing that we have had to go through.  But we saw a lot at the hospital and learned much about compassion.  But I know that J is meant to be  ours and that God has a plan for his life.  For the same reason I hate to hear about people aborting children just because they have DS.  Like a friend said on her blog...a child could be completely "normal" and get in an accident and be in a wheelchair their whole life.  There are no guarantees this life will be perfect. And no guarantees that smarter means happier.

Just got a new lullaby CD and the last song says: You are very special to me.....I know that this is where I am meant to be....I'm glad that my baby is you. :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.